The Somerset Groundsmans Association (SGA) is here to do the following:
- To improve the standard of cricket pitches throughout the county
- To improve the standard of groundsmanship education
The Association is responsible within Somerset for:
- Groundsman Development, including training courses, networking opportunities and ongoing learning
- Offering the use of specialist machinery through the use of the SCB Trailer
- Offering, via SCGA Pitch Advisors, a range of chargeable services with a clear schedule of charges
- Providing savings on essential materials at competitive prices
- Offering local support, help and advice – website and telephone
- Providing, through the SCGA Pitch Advisors, pitch advisory visits
- Approval of grounds as fit for cricket
- Raising the profile and promoting Groundsmanship across Somerset.
- Providing the ECB and the IOG with a local point of contact
- Duty of Care to all members
- Working in partnership with clubs and member bodies, implementing the SCB and ECB strategies
Current SCGA Officers
- Chairman Phil Mortimer
- Vice-Chairman Jim McGill
- Secretary POSITION VACANT
- Event Organisers/General Committee- Dave Counsell, Nigel Mortimer & Andrew Fox
- Finance Officer- Kaye May (Somerset Cricket Board Accounts)
7th August: Dennis Sisis Cricket Pitch Renovation Day at Cheltenham College.
Free of charge but places are limited must be booked by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Day will cover presentations on End of Season Renovations and Soil Cores, complimentary lunch followed by practical group sessions covering both Aeration & Renovations
20th August: Somerset Cricket Groundsman's Day at The Cooper Associates County Ground
After the success of the this in 2017 despite the weather the Somerset Cricket Groundsman's Day returns for Somerset vs Essex on Monday 20th August.
From 12noon to 1pm a Buffet Lunch will be served on the Thatchers Terrace for attendees where they will be able to enjoy the cricket from best view in the ground. At 1pm during the Lunch interval attendees will be able to go on to the pitch with Head Groundsman Simon Lee to hear him discuss what he & his team do to prepare the Cooper Associates County Ground and as him questions which you may want to ask him.
Cost of this event is £10 and places can be booked by clicking here.
End of season pitch renovation through the Trailer Scheme now available to book. For costs and booking info click here
For information on Pitch Advice including assessment and reports click here
For information on the latest groundsmen's courses please click here
Information for Groundsmen
Keep your machines running advice docuement- Winter for your machines
Drought and Warm Weather Guidence: Drought advice
Affiliated membership to the Somerset Cricket Groundsmen’s Association is open to all bona fide cricketing organisations / clubs in Somerset and the membership fee is £5.00 per club to join. This is an annual fee and is included in the SCB affiliation fees.